Tribute To Lee Kuan Yew

It has been a hectic few months and I have just returned from a whirlwind trip once again - the third in a month. There was no time to write but this time I felt compelled and there is only one article that I would write. This could be the most difficult article I have ever written.















Soon after the demise of Mrs. Lee, I could see that our first Prime Minister missed her dearly. He seemed withdrawn and somewhat sad. We saw and heard less from him and each time I saw him he looked weaker. He was hospitalised before I travelled, came back then travelled again. His condition got worse. That morning, when I got up just after 4am, I received the bad news. Though he led a good life till 91, my heart was heavy. I grew up watching and listening to him and though I do not agree with everything, I have the most awesome respect for him and his team from the Old Guards. 


























As the taxi came, the radio station played solemn music with intermittent announcement of a great man's demise. I had some short exchanges with the taxi driver who also seemed affected. In the commercial and business world, you  know it is not easy to get things done anywhere much less a tiny nation. From third world to first to me in the simplest term, is for those who had never shit in a shit hole in the kampung in a village, you may never know how lives have been transformed. Do not visit other countries by just visiting tourist places, Go see the real lives of people. Even the pavements you walk on is different. Level or undulated.























When I arrived Yangon, friends offered me their condolences. They told me what a great leader Lee Kuan Yew was and how they would love to have such a great leader. While we were walking one day at the Bogyoke Aung San Street, there was a Myanmarese old man who is possibly a tour guide and was with a few Caucasians. He must have recognise my accent to know that I am Singaporean and spoke to me telling me how he came to work in Singapore sometime in the 80s to 90s and how he love Singapore and what a great leader Lee Kuan Yew was, what a good country Singapore is, sending me his condolences to Singapore for our loss.




































This is just Myanmar. Everywhere I travelled for work, even to more remote places, whenever they knew I am Singaporean, they would say: ''Ah, Singapore. Lee Kuan Yew, sometimes adding SIA!'' The name precedes any other icons. He was our most famous product. Do you ever wonder why? Simple. He made things work, regardless and he did so with gusto and conviction. In many countries, nothing works. Even in the advance ones. That is why. Lots of countries copied Singapore's policies and ideas but few would admit it. CPF, ERP, industrialisation, etc. We too copied from others, took what was good and blended in with local flavours. All these requires dexterity.

I have written an article 5 years ago about when the last leaf falls and towards the end, I penned in a tribute to Mrs. Lee. You can find it in the blog link below:

http://gforce-guru.blogspot.sg/2010/10/autumn-leaves.html

I am first of all a true blue Singaporean non-partisan to the politics or political parties. I am for Singapore. If you have been following my blog articles, I have often said that when you cut me up, the blood that flows out would be red and white and the last few drops would be in the shape of a crescent moon and five little stars. If you see the man beyond the politics, you can see a truly great man. I won't be repeating what you have already heard from the papers but I can tell you how I saw and learnt from the great man.

I finally came back but have little time due to travels and other work commitments. Instead of parliament house, I went to a community clubs to join the queue, pay my respect and sign the condolence book. I saw people among the crowd who could be that taxi driver or businessman who cursed and swear at some point in their lives but now they hold a stalk of flower to bid their final farewell. If anything, the government and police underestimated how much Singaporeans love Mr. Lee Kuan Yew. Never before and never again we shall see such outpouring of grief.










Growing Up Years

During my growing up days, there was a kampung just behind where we lived. My family lived with our paternal grandmother with another married uncle's family and the other uncles and aunt who were not married. It was a big family all together with five uncles and four aunts. Everyone shared a single toilet for business, for showers and for washing clothes. What do we have today? Everyone now has their own room from a young age, several wash rooms and many TVs at home.





















































I have an uncle who lives in that kampung and that was where I learnt about the shit holes. No piped water too and parents who warned their children: ''If you do not study hard, you will end up carrying those shit pails''. I saw with my own eyes the folks who carried them and the truck with 36 doors to transport ''night soil''.

My paternal grandma always told me stories about Lee Kuan Yew sharing her experience and what great things he has done. Not just him but also his team of dedicated leaders. I was too young to really understand but as I watched him on TV during National Days, I saw that he always spoke with conviction. He was consistent. He said what he meant and meant what he said and always led by example which to me is the most powerful leadership trait. If you are intelligent you are merely intelligent. There will be more intelligent people than you. And intelligence is a gift. It requires no effort. Leadership by example requires blood, sweat and tears. You can tell people including your own children what to do and what not to do but they will always end up doing what you do.

Up Close 

During National Service I had the honour to salute the great man. He was to meet a VVIP visitor from a foreign country. My job was to control the traffic to ensure that the VVIP motorcade could travel smoothly as as he passed, I saluted! When I started to work, I would go on leave just so that I could watch him speak in person and up close. 










He was an inspiration. Almost always. A captivating and powerful orator. Goh Keng Swee, Toh Chin Chye, S. Rajaratnam, Hon Sui Sen, Lim Kim San and E.W. Barker were all titans in their own right but Lee Kuan Yew could crystallised thoughts that no one else could. Better than any I have seen not just here but globally. That is why he is so sought after. From the US Congress to Russia, China, Japan, World Economic Forums, everywhere,  he spoke and people listened with rap attention. At the end of each speech, there would be a standing ovation. He spoke for not only Singapore, he championed South East Asia and the rest of Asia. He showed how the world could be better place. 

His Words And Speeches

A great man like him comes once every 500 years. Probably more. Maybe never. I can't do the maths but I figured that we will never again find another great man like him. He is the only person whom I listened to every one of his speeches - on National Day, during press conferences, etc. I have never missed. The next day I would read the newspapers reproduction of his speeches. I read his books. Was I being brain-washed. No! No religion or cult could brain-wash me nor political parties. No indoctrination could get to me but I chose to read him because it was always original, logical, far-sighted, inspirational and full of wisdom. Forget the politics, I was reading the great man. 










I know and feel I was very fortunate to be living in an era of a great man more so to be led by him. If anything, he was too obsessed with the politics, of Singapore. Young people today are different but we cannot blame them because they were born, growing up and living in a land of plenty. They can get to choose anything from the coffee to their food. Even their jobs. How often to party, how they wish to live their lives. If you are my age and were born during this time, we could probably be the same. The young of today, if they were living during those days, would most definitely be a different product. Time has passed, things are different now. 

People all over the world wish to pick his brain. They wanted to know what he thought each country would be like in 20 years time, how the world's power base and landscape could become in 30 years. He would rolled it out, made so much sense and spoke with such conviction and candid assessment that all he said would probably happen. From defence to economics, education to human management. He has it all by his finger tips. 

How was he able to do that? Because he was hands on. He has met key world leaders and they sought his views. He indulged in all the subjects and thought deeply about each one of them till he became a reservoir of vast resources. He not only read, he went about doing things and in doing so he picked up everything and could linked them all together. Other leaders probably have everything done for them. 










Nobody spoke like him especially off the cuff and without referring to any prepared speech. Why? Because he has an awful lot of things in his head and heart.  That was why. If Bruce Lee was the hero of the martial arts world, Lee Kuan Yew was the hero of the political world. He was willing to learn from everywhere. What was good about the USA, Europe, Japan or anywhere. He picked up all the best and remodelled it into our Singapore way. He was the Bruce Lee of politics and more. Bruce was just martial arts, he was in the business of changing people's lives and changing the world. Choosing the right path especially in the beginning could go a long way. Conversely, irreparable damage could have been done. Such as corruption. 

We could never be like him. But I have learnt much. I learnt to speak without referring to prepared text. It is impressive but we cannot come close. Because of him, people in other countries think that we are all like that. Just like how the Western world thought all Chinese knows Kung-Fu like Bruce Lee.

A World Leader

Singapore is too small a stage for such a great man. When one could speak to Henry Kissinger and may other world greats and heavy weights on equal terms, better still when they even listen to you, you have come a long way and are punching well above your weight. 










These are the qualities that gave us a passport of high standards. There are certain expectations from Singaporeans. People expect standards. I have always told fellow Singaporeans to be good ambassadors when they are overseas. How we behave and conduct ourselves reflect Singapore. Remember that. 

Freedom 

But there will be haters. Those who have watched the latest adidas advert would understand. People would tell you you cannot succeed. Naysayers aplenty. Those affected by certain policies may hate him. When chewing gum was banned, they laughed. You have never got gums sticking to your pants, shirts or hair after going for a movie where waste gums were stuck to seats. 










Some Singaporeans say we must have freedom. Yes but what kind of freedom. I have never felt trampled on. I hated the ERP and the COE but when you are in another country, got stuck in their jam then you realised we are not too bad. This is freedom. 

When you can walk the streets freely even at night, what do you think? If this is not freedom, what is? Caning for vandalism is harsh? The law is there to punish you only when you commit the crime. Our women folks could get around without being raped or molested, children could go to school without your fear of them doing drugs. You only get a death sentence if you bring in drugs. If these are not freedom, what is? But there will be haters.

God-Sent

There are too many things being said about the great man. World leaders and top businessmen have said their piece. I have nothing else to add. I would finished the day at work overseas and get back to the hotel late.

I turned on the TV to follow the news on CNA till morning. Falling in and out of sleep. It went on for a few days. What was most heart wrenching came from the ordinary men and women in the streets. Some were sobbing and many shared the little things that they saw, experienced and were affected and given help. It brought tears to me, remembering how my grandmother and those of the time had told me. Singapore will continue to evolve and change but the foundations and institutions are there.










Such a great man comes once every 500 years, probably more and maybe never again. He was to me a God-sent to lead us out of the backwaters of yesteryear. You are incomparable.

We thank you and salute you sir for your leadership, courage, wisdom and foundations laid. We are grateful and forever indebted. Worry no more. RIP. We will take care of Singapore! You will always be my hero! Lee Kuan Yew Forever!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese