Local People Market

My son invited me to attend a special event at a most unusual place. It was a lazy Saturday and I was apprehensive but I took a gamble and went with him. It turned out to be an event which in my book should not be missed!

It was called the "Local People Market" where lots of arts people came to parade their wares and talents. I have always find the "arts people fascinating" because they are talented, hip, cool and always different. In fact, they are special. We need the "arts people" or the "Local People Market". Can you imagine a world without the arts?

So many of our local designers, artists and young people were out in force that evening on 1 November from 5-11pm at the rooftop of People's Park Complex. Singapore have more talented designers and artists than you know. There were curious, interesting hand-made products, handicrafts galore made by very passionate folks. I am writing about this event because I think we Singaporeans should support our fellow Singaporeans for their passion in the arts.  

Besides art and retail, there were plenty of food and drinks which drew queues and there was great live music by the talented bands - local bands and even ladies band and they were very good! What a night!

When you got up there, you have to negotiate some staircases from the elevator to get there where it was all happening. When I got down and looked back and up, this quaint residential building greeted me. Bright green and yellow.


Small stalls were set up throughout the entire car park. One particular stall caught my eye immediately. It is called "The Blue Pocket" where they create Pop Art, Greeting Cards, etc. I like their digitally drawn acrylic in particular those with the faces of the characters drawn with caption such as:

"When I am King, I'll hunt the monsters down and slay them all!" - Thor. 

"When it's your time, it is your time". - Bruno Mars.

"With great power comes great responsibility." - Spider Man.

"Showing off is a fool's idea of glory". - Bruce Lee.

They do not allow you to take photos of their stall so respectfully I did not.

I heard the first band. These ladies rocked! They are as good as any professional singers/band anywhere. Singapore boleh!

I found myself admiring the architecture of the building from time to time and wondered how many years it has stood there.

Looking across where I was, there lies another quaint if not queer building and its surrounding that I never knew existed.

This residential estate reminds me fondly of Hong Kong.

So too such a car park with its puddles of water after a rainy afternoon. They should make a movie using this as location.

I found another interesting designer. They design and customized watches according to your liking. You can choose or create your own design, indexes, colours, straps, faces, artwork, etc. I think it is really cool and fun. Surely I will get something from them. I do not need expensive stuffs but I like unique and creative things. I admire ideas. Such watches make great gifts!

The backdrop revealed the more modern and newer buildings across the street. I like this place where the event is held. Such simplicity. I feel that simplicity is the key to many of life's problems.

Now there  you have it - the picture of the entire building. One of the most unique in Singapore. The food queue was long throughout.

While I walked around feeling the vibes, the bands and singers were belting away beautifully with their good music and great vocals.

What did I feel? Energy! Raw and pure energy! Well done local people! I like the energy.

Some people are adventurous. They go where angels fear to tread.
They say that fortunes favour the brave.

They buck the trend. He came to tip the barber who is not really a barber by profession. 

While waiting, I got thirsty and I found a stall selling all kinds of beer from around the world. I picked this one because it was either German or Austrian. I found that it is Austrian. A European woman heard me saying "Austrian"and she wanted one too. I told the woman manning the stall I wanted this as I did not want to be rude and she shouted across: "He wants a fxxking hell". It tasted good.

It was done. He was tipping the barber quite generously.

Thanks for the memory.

Here's to another...















I will attend such a bazaar or the "Local People Market" again. Keep it up! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese