Ah Piau 27 - Yong Tau Foo

I saw a friend's posting on facebook. He wanted to eat Yong Tau Foo at about 9pm but when he got to the destination, the stall was already closed for the day. So I asked him where it is located and he gave me the address and said he heard it is good.

I never forgot some food because I was first introduced to them during my childhood days and you remember them because it was your first and you either love them or hate them. Some of those you may not like turned out to be something you like when you get older but those that come in bottles never really changed. First the milk bottle, then the Coke bottle followed by the beer bottle and finally the IV drip bottle. They all comes in bottles.

When I was a child, grandma would buy me a stick of fish balls or "ngoh hiang" drip with sweet sauce and I liked them but never got to appreciate the rest of yong tau foo. It is a very unique dish that comes in a wide variety of selection mostly with fish paste coated on tau pok, tofu, bitter gourd, red and green chilli, peppers, mushroom, tau kee, cuttle fish, etc. I actually grew fond of them and like mine with bee hoon and kang kong - dry. Throw in some sweet sauce and lots of chili sauce and bingo!

So I found my way to Punggol Central Blk 622 coffee shop. A modern and the latest town with government built flats by the HDB. Now when I tell you this, please do not all rush down and make my 5 minutes wait for a simple meal turn into a two hour queue. That was what happen when a KL Ban Mian came to town and someone put it on the blog. We have only one life and life is short, remember so wise up and not stress the stall holders or yourselves. Please take your time.


















There is a name on the glass showcase that read "ah piau" which is perhaps the owner's name.


















It came with a delicious ngoh hiang, a crispy tau kee with bee hoon or noodle. 





A bowl full with soup, two large fish ball and a tau pok. The tau pok was bigger than those they serve you at some food courts where franchisees of some famous names shrunk it bit by bit over the years such that you do not even need to chew on them now, just swallow it in one gulp. 


The food here is very fresh. Biting into it, you can really taste its freshness.

They have some very lovely fried ones where you can order on the side like chili, brinjal, bitter gourd, etc. They fried it well just so that it comes with a nice texture retaining its good taste and tenderness.






I shall return to enjoy ah piau's yong tau foo and I was informed that they are closed on Monday. They are opened at night till about 9pm or when the food runs out. So dinner is fine. 

I saw a couple just after the meal seated nearby and was amused by them. Both were sporting headphones while eating. Must be pleasurable but wonder how they talk. This is the new Singapore?


















This is the block next door. Looks nice. There are some apartments here that look like spanking new condos. 

There are car parks nearby and a supermarket too. 


















I'll ask him when there is an opportunity if he is Ah Piau. Come if you love good Yong Tau Foo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese