Chef Kang - Wanton Noodle

Chef Kang needs no introduction. His first restaurant was Canton Wok in Havelock, it later moved to Serangoon and Joo Chiat. It was at Serangoon when I first patronised.  Later, he ran a restaurant at McKenzie Road. Since then I have read that he has weathered bankruptcy after several businesses in China failed. He even fought cancer and prevailed. Chef Kang is an award-winning chef and now he is even Michelin-starred.

I have heard that there is always a snaking queue at his wanton noodle stall at Jackson Square in Toa Payoh with a two-hour waiting time. That freaked me out. I got to eat it because of special VIP delivery, thanks to my younger sister.I don't even have to order it. Lol. Despite the time taken for the journey and by the time I ate it. It was still good.

Firstly, the Char siew comes  in thicker slices not those of your usual thinly sliced ones. It has a fresh smoky flavour  and are fatty.


The chye sim is soft and you could find the lard that came along.

The wanton is special. It actually looks more like a siew mai than wanton. 

The noodles were still springy and it came drenched in dark soy sauce  which is of a certain quality as it is not too salty or too sweet. It has a restaurant quality taste to it.


One bite and yes it takes just a bite to find the plump wanton filled with natural goodness. You will find a crunchy prawn with minced pork and the refreshing and surprising use of black fungus and big chunks of water chestnut.


The soup made from chicken stock is fabulous. You will not disagree that it is really good. The choice of ingredients used and his method of preparation shines through. I cannot say it is the best wanton noodle I have ever had but still I would say this is quite a great plate of wanton noodle because it is different and it is good and I was told you do not have a very long queue now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese