Saboten

100 AM @ Amara has transformed the 3rd level with 7 Japanese restaurants under one roof. I like! With ''Itadakimasu'' opening up here, it is now so easy to have different types of quality Japanese food anytime and this is at 100AM alone not forgetting the many others around. Itadakimasu literally means let's eat or Bon Appetit. I have tried a three of the restaurants so far which I may share with you later but this time I walked into another one- Saboten. 

Saboten was established in Japan in the 60s and grew into a big chain with over 500 shops. All along my favourite tonkatsu that could satisfy my cravings is at Tonkichi at Scotts. Of course it could go with curry but my fave would be the tonkatsu sauce. How do you turn onions, carrots, tomatoes, apples and other spices into this magic sauce? Needless to say it is a favourite. So I was here. Only two of us so it is safe as they can't sabo ten.

Irasshaimase! That's what they call out to you at every Japanese store to say welcome!

First came the chawanmushi which is always so lovely. I took each mouthful slowly while grind the sesame and then I was laughing a little to myself as I recalled a friend saying he love to eat Mushichawan. Haha. I asked to repeat to verify if he was referring to Japanese food or Malay food. I told him Mushichawan could be a Malay food. Hehe.

The thinly shredded cabbage is fresh and is refillable and when my favourite Japanese sesame sauce was an option for my choice, I almost became a vegetarian until I began thinking of the thousands of plants and vegetables dying for the human cause. Stop the killing!

Shabu-shabu is always a fantastic choice even as Saboten is offering this in the menu for the month of May to celebrate Mother's day. I often think of walking in the cold winter streets of Tokyo at night and going for shabu-shabu. Such fabulous feelings.

Of course with kurobuta pork and that awesome sesame sauce. I had these in Tokyo during my previous trip with kurobuta and beef and whoa! fugu (puffer fish) sashimi.

Then along came the kurobuta pork  tonkatsu!

By this time, my hard work earlier has paid off. The sesame has been grounded and all I need is to lift the cover off the pot and start pouring over the special tonkatsu suace for the glorious dipping.

Meanwhile, like in a kitchen, you have to watch the fire over the pot of soup. After all the the meat were done, the fresh vegetables have turned very soft. The thin slices of carrots and radish and the sweet taste are ready to be ravished.

It was a really excellent meal and it ended with a scoop of green tea ice-cream. 

The taste of the pudding is in the eating. I can vouch for everything stated here for its quality. It is authentic and it has quality.

I still like Tonkichi but now I could have Saboten anytime. See what the sign below says.

I will be back! And would also like to try the shabu-shabu next door. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese