Bangkok In 2016 - Part Three

The only reason I am giving a part III is to share about the food and a bit of fun as fascinating as the place is. Of course, at the end, Bangkok is still a bustling city and not a beach resort that I yearn for to heal my soul. As Robbie Williams sang: "Give me endless summer, Lord I fear the cold, feel I'm getting old before my time. As my soul heals the shame, I will grow through this pain. Lord, I'm doing all I can, to be a Better Man".

Own time, own target. Everywhere you go, the places and streets are thronged with people from all over. Ladies would love to shop whereas guys are lazy shoppers. Guys either go straight to the place and get what they wanted or find something as they dragged their feet along and that's the end. Over here, it is easy to buy anything even if you do not need them due to the array of goods available.


For the dreamers out there, I recommend these dream catchers.

Or fancy a simple but nice personal and customised passport or key holders.

Or choose a cap of your choice in colour, design or let everyone know your name.

You could start drinking at a bar on the street too.

At the time, the Christmas festivities were evident.

I am always thrilled by this stall just outside the hotel.

With an array of delectable snacks. 

Some of you may not know that while it is called 'Siam Pandan', this is certainly not a Thai delicacy as I didn't see them in previous years. Not sure of the origin but I know for sure, when my mum and her sisters gathered at my maternal grandma's place on weekends of holiday, they made this 'kueh' too. 

The home-made Chinese style is less sweet and comes with a rice puree for dipping. Simple but awesome treat.

Those of you with phobia for crowd should avoid. This is an important pedestrian bridge connected to trains stations and leads to everywhere.

...and the infamous other jam - the traffic. The Bangkok jam can't be used as bread spread.

A new place for the seafood - Laem Cha-Roen.

We didn't follow Trip Advisor who was here. We followed our local friends who brought us.

Crabs in Bangkok are the best for one particular reason - they cracked the shells and even peeled the flesh for you enjoyment.

These are not Christian food but Thai otah.

As usual, the largest prawns you could lay your hands on with the gooey stuff oozing. 

They are as big as my palm.

Sea bass in Thai sauce with chilli and garlic.
















Back to the crabs. They even trimmed the claws for you so that you have very little to do than just open it and  eat. Just the the chilli crab at Somboon, peeled crab meat.

Like this.

There was a big party in the evening.

On the final day, we checked up MBK where my favourite shoe shop is located.

They have good shoes and I almost got myself a pair each time I was there.

And my favourite shirt shop. With no intention to buy I ended with both as the quality and material are good at a reasonable price that became cheaper due to an ongoing sale.

A fool and his money is soon parted.

I like to get flip flops everywhere I go. Especially when they do not cost a lot and yet very comfortable.

There is not a better place to find such a great variety and where you could pick and choose the shape, design and colours to match and this is the man.

With his simple little gadget, you get yours in a jiffy.

Others collect designer handbags. I collect flip flops. City life is stressful.

This is the place to be. If you have not been to the Andaman in Bangkok. You must make a trip when there.

Bangkok has many good restaurants but to me this is a favourite. You have to compare apple with apple but this is the best and a favourite because they have everything. From the oldest to the youngest and the in betweeners, they have it. The fusion of Japanese, Thai, Italian and French are seamless and interesting. Everyone will love it!

Look at these cantaloupe and cured ham (Parma ham on melon). Mama Mia! Savoury best! 

You will not find sashimi in such a large cut anywhere like these salmon belly.

They serve great tuna in equally huge slice.

At first when popping in the mouth you may struggle a bit and maybe feel uncouth but once in the mouth from the first bite it is such a fabulous chomp.


Aglio Olio so good with the chilli padi. Really good!

Another stunner is the foie gras sushi totally covered in sesame. 

And these seared tuna never fails whether it is in Phnom Penh or Bangkok and even back home.

If those prawns earlier made your adrenalin rush, this lobster makes you feel your cholesterol building up.

The problem with eating is well the eating. They go "After You''.

You go along and say ''oh, might as well''.

For all those hung up there the middle one is the best! Like Jesus and the two thieves. One thief was exasperated and said how can I go to paradise. Jesus said to just believe and he did and Jesus said see you in paradise.

Sometimes, even the saviour gets rejected. Why? Because people are rebellious. They say why can't I have the charcoal? Why must I accept?

Why can't I have the Thai Tea shavings. Oh forgive us our sins for we know not what we do.

Why can't I have slippers?

And more slippers.

A year passed by so quickly. I think I need a holiday again. I should be going back to my roots of being a beach bum again and do it at a high level. I want to hide away. Talk to God. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese