Flambe

I can't remember when Western food was first introduce to become hawker fare. However, I am quite sure that we have to thank our Hainanese brothers for it. Many of the earlier generation Hainanese have worked for the colonial masters as chefs and cooks, some even on board vessels and also in restaurants and hotels. The usual suspects of western food at hawker centres and coffee shops peddle mostly the standard fare of fish and chips, pork chops and chicken cutlets.

The younger generation of hawkers are more flamboyant partly because Singapore has become more affluent and more upmarket. Western food is totally fine with me except that I could eat it every week let alone everyday. However, I find that our younger simply love it. Is it due to the fact that families seldom cook at home and there have been in influx of western influence as people travel so often these days? 

I am sure you may know of "Collins'' who has 19 outlets island wide. I went to Collins quite near to where I lived and there was always good business at the coffee shop. Their menu are almost like that of a restaurant or more. I also found that ordering through Deliveroo can be a good thing albeit a bit more costly. I ordered online when I was leaving the office and the moment I got home with about half an hour, took off my shoes and the door bell rang and bingo! My favourite has been their aglio olio with salmon in mango sauce which comes with salad and corn. ''Aglio'' simply means spaghetti with garlic and oil in Italian. 

Collins' Aglio Olio (below).

Whenever mom and pop shops (small family-owned operated business) in the neighbourhood or HDB estates gave up, they are usually taken over by new style bistros. Even the Hainanese old man who used to operate Borsch restaurant and gave up to be a hawker at a coffee shop has given up but not for long and I think he has finally given up totally. AT this coffee shop, even the tze char stall have packed up. Then along came a new western food stall. It is called ''Flambe" where Flambe means food covered with spirit and set alight briefly. 










At first we tried the standard fare of chicken chops.



It is very good better than most others. So too their pork chops.

They have fabulous mushroom soup.
















And pumpkin soup.
















So too their fish and chips.

Many folks may like the typical fish and chips where the fish is covered by bread crumbs but the real fish and chips are those that are skilfully battered.

Though the food here is very good I was somewhat concerned for them in that this is a heartland neighbourhood where largely older folks lived in Sengkang and Punggol is where all the younger ones lived. Of course younger people still live here in Sengkang. The concern was whether they could sustain the business as their food cost slightly more than the usual $5-$6 ones. Besides, would the folks around here appreciate the quality and fine taste. Was their idea a little ahead of their time? I Like their food and would like them to be here forever.

I am happy for them because I think they have done really well and happy for me because it is our gratitude to have food, even more blessed to have good food and good food at a stone's throw away is total bliss.

As if not enough, they are introducing new and good stuff every now and then and you can get update on social media. Their new rice bowls had me salivating and I could have them anytime.

Such as this chicken bowl. All their rice bowls come with a fabulous poached egg.

The two young men know their stuffs as they are making food that are like restaurant standard. Their salmon rice bowl is my favourite. The salmon is of a good quality, seared beautifully where the inside is not overcooked and how I loved the touch of those lovely tomato slices. For this lovely salmon rice bowl. It pinched your pocket for 12 bucks and 90 but it is totally worth it. Others are not important but what you put into stomach is very.

Soon they introduced the beef rice bowl which is as fabulous. 

Tender slices of these beef are to be savoured.

Their latest are pork cheeks cooked in to styles. 

I have been won over and have been a regular since. If you want quality, you have to pay a little more. I do not have western food all the time so when I have to do it, I like to do it in style and with quality. Flambe is making the coffee shop called ''Happy Hawkers'' happy and making the heartlanders happy. Do not come and flood the place. Just visit and try it when you are around the corner or to  buy me a meal. They are at 267, Compassvale Link.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese