Bangkok In 2016 - Part One

I went to Bangkok in December because it is cooler and just a couple of hours away. Somebody asked me when was the last time I went there and I quickly said: "Last year." Then when I looked at my passport and I was wrong. It was only in June! So I shall give you a two-in-one update. 

Such street stalls that dotted the streets are no more but were around in June. Bangkok authorities are cleaning up.

In our first walkabout we stumbled onto something new. This cheese tarts that people queue for a few hours in Singapore was queue-free when they opened. 

It is really very good. Would I queue for two hours for it? No way. 

Bangkok has everything. I kid you not. Even special shoes!

The famous Bangkok jam is an ever present. Recently reported and confirmed to be the world number one.

Our dear host brought us to the usual favourite restaurant. They kept exotic pets there like chameleons and iguanas.

Monkeys

And even a baby crocodile.










They have the largest prawns here. 

Look at the sinful orangy, gooey stuffs which is unforgiving.

Bangkok is like a grand and big carnival everywhere. 

Sometimes, like on this occasion, it was like a Rio Carnival.

Definitely a food paradise. Sometimes, people travel here just to eat. The array of food is quite mind-boggling. Sometimes, just looking at them is fun enough. I call it "See Food".


I knew before hand there were storms before I arrived and witnessed one.

Including the flood.

Thanks to our ever so hospitable hosts, we visited a new eating place.

The Thai hor fun is fabulous with crunchy prawns, tender meat and a tasty gravy. It was like "if I only have this, I don't need anything else'' good.

Then along came the anything else and everything else like crayfish tang hoon.

Roast pork and many others.

This dessert is a must try! We all know and like Thai ice tea. This a Thai tea ice kachang. Aroi mak mak!

Well, the next day, in between shopping and walking around, we take little snacks like these just outside Novotel Siam.

In my countless trips to various places in Thailand, I had always wanted to get tailored clothes - a suit, shirts and pants ,etc. Surprisingly, I have never done it!

But I do love flip flops and this one at MBK customised it for you. Choose from the shapes, designs, colours and straps and bingo!

You have the option for simpler and cheaper restaurant food at Somtam which is again just next to my hotel. 

I heard the chicken here is popular.

While Thai tea can not go wrong.

Fish maw salad is interesting.

Well done roast pork.

Thai styled fried fish.

Bangkok is upmarket. They have this Toyota a year before we see it in SG.

You walk a lot and get hungry then you eat a lot and get going. It was time to hunt in the own backyard. Scala like Somboon is more touristy. I notice they like to use the words on their signs ''no branches'' which I deduced there must have been copycats. So beware. I know a friend who ask the taxi to take his family to Somboon and went to a Somboon with an additional name.

Cruel? 

I do not order sharks fins but I shall eat it when given. Actually, we do not need sharks fins. It is tasteless and has no nutritional values. It is actually the taste of the soup that you like.

So if you could just have fish maw, scallop and crab meat with the same sharks fins soup taste, it would still be very good and you may pay less for it.

Anyway, after everything and anything, it is After You. A hip joint,

Desserts extravaganza! Panna Cotta!

But this is the one that you must try! The golden bread is excellent.

Do not miss this place when you are here. This is why I like Novotel Siam Square.

Our most gracious hosts brought us some where else we have not been. We had many things including Peking Duck but what caught my attention was this.

Do you know what it is? It is deep-fried hor fun. I have never tried anything like it before anywhere. Fabulous!

Time to...

...and put my signature.

As I wrote this, my heart grew with sadness as I have been informed that our senior host who has taken care of us has passed on. Though elderly, he was fit, fitter than others his age. I did not have another chance to thank him again personally. This is the uncertainty and brevity of life. Thank you for everything my friend and may God bless your soul. RIP!

...To Be Continued

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese