Sabar Menanti

Singapore is small, the Little Red Dot that people laugh at and a name we now call ourselves. We are now even saying thank you to a big neighbour who has asked a few times why we complained about the haze when their green forest gave us oxygen most parts of the year. When people talk about others, it shows their own smallness or magnanimity. That person who talk about others, always speaks more about himself than others. We have our own warts and all just like every family have theirs but there are many who would love to have many of the things we have. The ability to laugh at oneself is a great trait that few possesses even though they say they could or have. 

Above everything else, food is one where we not only have abundantly but the variety and mixture given our multi racial and culture, is truly the spice of life. Besides being a little red dot, we are even thought to be a concrete jungle but for a concrete jungle, we have pockets of green lungs in abundance. Many other cities do not have such greenery especially in the very heart of the city. My concerns are always about the green landscape being cleared quite rapidly. Even from a concrete perspective, old concrete has disappeared over time and new structures sprouted in its place.

I was therefore, very happy and surprised to find a place in the heart of town, forsaken by time where it is surrounded by many trees, at a quaint and serene corner all on its own that I consider it to be like a monument. To me, these places are treasures. The character of a place, building, etc. is to me more important than all the costumes, make up and glitters on the facade. This the the same for a person. Your character shows your heart and the feel of your heartbeat.

I am thinking if I should mention the name of the place or to leave it as a puzzle. A few of you may know.


The old building that looks and feels cosy.


The problem is that you are not allowed to park in here. 


Behind it is a highway and a small and very old mosque currently undergoing renovation.


If you want to see multi-racial Singapore and feel the SG heartbeat this is the place. A laid-back place where people gather for food.

They have all kinds of creative hot and cold drinks and beverages.

The boss at first glance from afar resembled Hussein Aljunied, a former Singapore soccer team coach.

Good food awaits you here.

They are also ready for your take away special.

Any old timer Singaporean must know their Nasi Padang. It is something that I could have everyday.

I had Beef Rendang, Kangkong and a Sambal Chicken which I thoroughly enjoyed! Sedap!


Even the kuching (cat) here is stressed-free.

Okay those who follow, please keep this a secret among you and not bring the Michellin people and the whole SG here. They have enough business and more from you won't hurt but do not make them stressed. Not everyone needs or wants more money but love and respect. 

I found myself coming back of course. I have eaten tulang but all the time they were the ''Tulang Merah''. Tulang is superb but deadly. However, I have never tried Mee Rebus Tulang. Have you? 

The Mee Rebus is good though I found it a little sweet for my taste but with the Tulang, it becomes a power food. There are chunks of tender mutton pieces in the gravy and of course as tulang goes, you man-handle it somewhat by tearing off the meat left on the bone and when you are done and find that it is uncouth to suck out the bone marrow out loud (SOL - Suck Out Loud), then pick up a straw before hand and on standby. Once the bone marrow comes through the straw and hits your throat, wham! 




















Actually this cartilage is good for you and better than red meat. It is gelatin, a type of protein. There are also non-essential amino acids. It promotes skin healing by increasing collagen. It could be good for your joints, good for you own tulang. I heard that those with heart, kidney or gout problems should avoid it probably  because traditional tulang are high in sodium. This one is with mee rebus. 

Well, the bone marrow from the tulang is like foe gras for the Gods. This means that you should by no means consumer it regularly or too often. I do not think you are ready to meet God. Maybe this tulang has help me with my golf shots' distance recently. No, can't be. I had it just once. I'll be back. Sedap!!!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Geoff,
The first time I came to Singapore holding an Indian passport was in 1982. After getting off at Tanjong Pagar station from KL, i went to Palmer road YMCA. Oh, yes- I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Singapore and somewhere made a silent pledge to myself that one day I would become part of this vibrant society. Looking back now, it seems like a call of destiny, now. Every time I pass through that flyover, it brings me nostalgic memories. Nothing much is left there now, making way for modernisation . However, I'm so glad you have captured the life behind that building very well and presented it in your usual inimitable style. Thanks, Geoff!
GuruGeoff said…
Hi Sree, I am glad you like it. Yes, destiny indeed! There is a reason why you are here and why we have met and many others. Wishing you many more great memories!
Unknown said…
Keep posting bro. Just making me crave more for food.

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese