Batam Getaway - Part 1

They say a family that eats together stays together. In the hustle and bustle of our daily grind, there are often times when this is not possible. So parents are happy when a family gathered for a meal together. In the near future, as a result of various demands, it may be more difficult to go on a family trip together. We had a small window of opportunity that is during the long weekend of Hari Raya Haji. 

I have little time to find somewhere to go. Usually, I would give it a pass. I do not wish to be caught in a Causeway jam and I only had 3D2N to spare. What should I do? I found an interesting place which is in line with me doing something or going somewhere never done before. The private island of Telunas where you have to take a ferry to Batam and then hop onto a longboat for more than an hour of journey to get there. What happens if there is strong current? What if the others can't handle it? After all the enquires and the final decision, the place was fully booked!

I once knew Batam well but that was because I used to organise golf flights there and also to visit some customers at times but that was long ago but never on a vacation. All the booking websites were taken up so I decided to go to a resort and went direct to Harris Waterfront Resort. Two days after I booked, the hotel was full and could not accept my additional bookings. We are on the way to that getaway. I like simple short trips but would young people enjoy it? One thing is for sure - when you are with me, fun is guaranteed. I have decided that it should be fun.

At local ferry terminal, I witnessed a small skirmish. It was crowded and busy and the security staff directing human traffic was a little loud and them man behind me was not happy to be talked to that way and shouted back to the security staff not to be rude. Voices were raised both sides. "Ugly", I was thinking to myself. You can be firm without being rude. Anyway, why do you want to argue with security?

En route from Harbour Front (Singapore) to Water Front (Batam), we passed by these and more of those multi-million dollar houses. 


I was thinking to myself, if I could afford such houses, I would be writing for fun full-time. Pursue my hobbies even more passionately and vigorously. Get into voluntarism and philanthropy. 


And so we left everything behind. All of yesterday, all the work and responsibilities, to be just ourselves. to slow down. I have been on vacations and I saw people complaining that the food services were slow "wah lau so slow , can die man!" We precisely need a vacation to slow down. If you wanted things as fast, stay back in Singapore. 

As we were approaching Water Front, we saw this boat. I thought this must be the kind of long boat to Telunas. I pointed out to everyone and let them wonder if they could have survived one and a half hours on it.

In the ferry, I made an interesting observation. This door opens up to a stairway that brings you onto the second level. The crew probably hooked it up so that when it swung open nobody gets hurt. The wash rooms are separated and male and female are found on different sides. Most folks walked to this door and made a big U-turn to get to the other side. Only 2 out of 10 people took the option of removing the hook and took a short cut. A few tried but were not sure how to do it and quickly gave up.

This is like an elephant that has been tied by a rope all the time. Even when it is tied to a plastic chair the mammoth of an animal move not due to its conditioning. How many of us are like those 8 out of 10 people who did not explored out of a certain boundary and become like that elephant. Some are bogged down by a certain belief, superstition or habits. It is the same.

Finally, we arrived at Waterfront Batam. I am sure you have heard of Nongsa, Sekupang, Batam Centre but this is Waterfront.

Harris staffs dancing and cheering!

With their Mascot.

A fun way to greet guests!

A view of the old and new wing.

We stayed at the new wing and this is the old wing.

The view from our rooms looked inviting.

If I sent you this you wouldn't know where I was.

There is a small marina next to the hotel.

Waterfront or for that matter Batam does not have the most beautiful sea or beach but the sea is the sea, not the best but a sea-view somehow brings out something in us.

Guests could play their beach games here.

Or do your banana boat.

Target shooting. I saw a lady shooting on target consecutively but her male partner was quite an epic failure. The world's future could be controlled by women.

Beach side chalet hotel anyone? They are closest to the sea.

You could try your hand at other stuffs.

Shisha is available at the bar.

The one and only bar.


The pools here are huge and I . the huge pool beds.

Paint ball shooting if you like? You could organise a company outing here for team building.

When night fell, we went bowling. It used to be a favourite when I was younger but it has been more than a decade since I last bowled.

For that long absence I think the score was not bad. Should have spared 7/8/9 though and it would have been even better. Maybe I should pick it up again so that when it rains during golf, we can change and go bowling!

The first night poolside buffet was quite fabulous. 

There was a "live" band to entertain.

No big lobsters, etc. here but the spread was not too bad and plenty to go around. My favourite was this corner where diners could choose if you wanted kway teow, noodles or bee hoon. Choose the vegetables and the meat or seafood to go along.

The two chefs would diligently fry them for you. The bee hoon was fabulous.

Kway teow mee not bad too.

We went back to have more games and fun. Here you see the young and dangerous.

If I had last bowled in more than a decade then the last time I played with balls and sticks other than golf was more than 3 times longer!

No matter how many sports I got involved, I can't do it all.

Something has got to give. I'll be sharing with you more at the next opportunity. Watch this space.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese