Random Eats - Restaurants

Recently, I remembered a few places where I have eaten and thought the food was good. Or they reminded me of previous times when I visited even if they were at different venues. 

Sometimes, we choose places due to convenience rather than anything else. For some folks, eating is not even important. They eat to fill their tummy. They wont die without food but their hands may tremble without drinks. Others pay a little more for food and they would complain but do not bat an eyelid when they are paying for drinks. Yet there are those who are stingy when it comes to food but they would save up just to travel. Then there are some who must eat only at the most famous and expensive places because they have arrived.

I walk the middle ground. Not all expensive places offer the best food. They are just expensive. I do not have to travel everywhere but I will not sting on food because they are what you put into your stomach and we need quality and not quantity. Besides, food is an art and sometimes there is the mood factor.


Ichiban Boshi


Which do you think is the best? Sushi Tei, Sakae Sushi or Ichiban Boshi? I came to Ichiban Boshi due to convenience at the time. There are certain things I like about Sakae Sushi but I remembered some really good stuffs at Sushi Tei. That day I had a some wonderful cuts of sashimi at Sushi Tei, especially the tuna that day.

Of course you could go to Tatsuya where Ronnie will prepare special food in season but the price would be too princely. I had a wonderful meal at this Japanese restaurant near Robertson Walk. The Chirashi don was so wonderful I thought I could have them almost everyday! The vinegar rice came with 3 or 4 huge slices of seasonal fish. Oishi!

The thing about Japanese food is that the cuisine has great varieties and are mostly healthy. Noodles are an important part of our Asian food cultures so a good ramen, soba and udon always delight.

As their slogan suggest, Japanese food and Ichiban serve more than just sushi.

Salmon has become like staple food. 

Besides Chirashi don I love Japanese salad. They are awesome! I have a particular liking for the Japanese peanut with sesame sauce.




















This black pepper beef in a hot stone bowl takes the cake.

Ladies will certainly like this mushroom soup where even guys do.




















Ship Restaurant

The Ship Restaurant has been around a long time. I could even remember the different times of my life where I have visited each Ship restaurant at different venues. Later on, the one I frequented most was at Scotts.

We were given surgical instruments.

To pick on garden snails which French ang moh called escargot. When you are too slow, it is easier to end up on people's dinner plate. Even if you are very fast, you may still end up the same. You just fetch a higher price for your head. At the end of the day, you are just a pawn on the chess board.

Whenever I was at the Ship at Scotts, I have the highest rating for their deep-fried fish soup set. They are served golden brown in a separate plate so they remain crispy through out your meal.

The soup is a delightful broth with nicely chopped  up vegetables and slices of tomatoes. With a little Chinese wine perhaps and some evaporated milk. It is hearty and healthy. The set comes with coffee or tea and usually a cake or cream puff. I had this at Nex.


Jacob's Cafe


Ah the Hainanese. From Colbar at Wessex Estate, Shashlik at Far East Shopping Centre, Han's everywhere and once my favourite Oxtail at Jack's Place at UE Square we give thanks to them Hainanese for the food not forgetting the Hainanese curry rice. 

Then you must come to Jacob's Cafe at Changi Village. They have  a variety of good food and of course some cold beers. And then they serve a wonderful oxtail. 


Some people do not like oxtail due to psychological factors. You see an ox uses its tail to swat off remnants of his waste. You get the picture? That is precisely why they are so good because they exercise the muscles around it everyday!

This oxtail is so good that you can trust me that you will use every piece of their equally wonderful house-made bread to wipe off the gravy an clean up the plate!




Uncle Leong Seafood

It has been sometime since we had a bigger family gathering. I have visited Uncle Leong Seafood several times since they located to Punggol Promenade. I remembered it was good when we last had a big feast. So I ordered a set dinner and selected from the options how they were to be done. I will just show a few dishes here. For a set meant for 10 at about $538 it came with a garoupa, two big crabs, mushrooms, sharks fin soup and many more, it was more than enough food for 13 people.

I must say that the steam garoupa with "chai poh" was very "steam" your head goes up in steam. It was very fresh with great meat and the chai poh was controlled without being salty. Gorgeous!





















I like this noodle and shall give it a special mention. It will leave you wanting more. 

Crabs cooked in this style are very tasty. It is buttery and creamy with black pepper but you won't be able to eat a lot of it. 

So we had a break with this solid vegetable with lots of mushrooms and scallops. 

I must say that Uncle Leong knows his crab. So far the crabs I ate here have some of the most wonderful meat. They have lots of flesh and meat that are juicy and succulent. They do not stick to their shells. Eat your crabs here.

Finally, the chilli crab. Some chilli crabs are too sweet. This one has a good flavour and is actually more spicy than most and I like it! 




















Why are crabs so expensive, are they difficult to catch? They also cause your cholesterol to shoot up but everybody loves crab.

I wish you a mouth-watering weekend! Cheers!

It's Oktober!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese