Penang, Pearl Of The Orient - Part 1

There are people with lots of money and no time and there are those with lots of time but no money and there are those who say that time is money. So they may sit down with you only when there is money since time is money. Money is useless unless spent.

I haven't had a vacation for a few years. I have to find a bit of time and spend a little. I wanted a vacation that is short, if by plane to be no more than two hours and if shorter the better. I would like a place near the sea and where it is not overcrowded. I would love the place to have a certain heritage and it must have good food.

So we set off to the airport but I haven't been to Terminal One for a long time. I envy our police officers these days who could ride on a Segway. It looked like Star Wars. When I was in airport security so long ago, we have to walk until we sagged-sideways. People today just do not know how fortunate they are.

I do not gamble, so this is a chance to become a millionaire. If I win, I'll gladly exchange it for time. More time to do more things. Not contented to be human being but also want human doing. Being is just an existence? Haven't you heard or read about people being happier having an experience in life than just having material possession which is shallow?

With a little time, we had a beer. Let's begin the travel in style.

One of the reasons why you must come here is that an hour flight is oh just so beautiful. You get on the plane, close your eyes for awhile and you are soon landed. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Penang, the Pearl of the Orient.

We rested at the hotel and soon it was time for dinner. We were hosted to home-cooked food - sambal kangkong, assam prawns, dark sauce pork and deep-fried fish coated with chilli. Yummy! It was great home-cooked food prepared with love and just like my late maternal grandmother would did it. My mum does it this way too. Finally, I washed it down with winter-melon soup. Thanks to the uncle and aunt who were so hospitable. This is the kind of experience I was talking about earlier. Priceless!


I wanted 3D2N but changed it to 4D3N. It was a good decision because a happy day passed by rather quickly. Time for some whisky at the lobby lounge with the band crooning songs and melodies of my time. Songs that you will like too. A friend requested a song: "Starry starry night". I asked if the singer clarified: "Sir, do you mean Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". This is not the first time. The song should be "Vincent" by Don McLean. We went back to the 70s and then the 80s too. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wrNFDxCRzU (Vincent)

I was reminiscing. (As the Little River Band did).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM4MBKjg0qk (Reminiscing)

They did Freddie Aguilar's Anak (in Tagalog)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n-2lPzH7Do (Anak) and in English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oklvyDqCem8 (Child)

We had the Eagles' Lying Eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-NlR54PqLw (Lying Eyes)

There were many more songs but the set ended with one of my all time favourites - Hotel California. I used to sing this endlessly those good old days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0G1Ucw5HDg (Hotel California)

We needed a taste of Penang street food so we went to Gurney Drive. It was late and not all stall remained opened. Well, we managed to get some.

The old lady here has a ferocious tempo and a fiery wok. A friend used to say that men cook for a living and women cook for the living.

She whip out a storm. Penang char kway teow.

An easy summary for you - Penang char kway teow, laksa and popiah at Gurney Drive. Unfortunately, no more to add.



The morning after was cloudy.


We had to be out there to immerse ourselves with the Penangite crowd at the market and coffee shops. These are where the real jewels are hidden. Unearthing them is the key for such a trip. This is the trip adviser.

The champion "Hokkien Prawn Mee" of Kucing Lane at Pulau Tikus!

Power!!

Some folks were rushing to buy those packet noodles like "My Kuali", "Ah Seng" and whatever Ah Lai or Ah Huat Penang White Curry Noodle in Singapore some months back. Here I am at ground zero with the real stuffs.

And you certainly won't find this in Singapore anymore. Coagulated pig's blood. We used to have them for Yong Tau Fu.

This is the real Curry Mee. The food trail began.

Champion "Apom".

Also of Kucing Lane, Pulau Tikus, Penang.


Let me introduce you to the founder of "Suda Makan" food Guru.

Some friends needed to go to the temple. We tagged along.

A statue of a sleeping Buddha and below, a pagoda.

I was told these are the best biscuits in Penang. It felt like a crime if I do not buy some. You could not even get it and have to place your orders and collect later when ready for the "Tau Sar Piah" and the "Beh Teh Saw".

We visited the 3D Art Museum. The early history of Penang. Singapore had Sir Stamford Raffles, Penang had Captain Francis Light. Penang, Malacca and Singapore were known as the Straits Settlement. Among the three, Penang shares a closer resemblance to Singapore.

They have the Eurasians.

The Babas and the Nyonyas. Way before you have AliBaba or AliBaba.com.

And of course the Chinese who were brought in by the British from China.

At my studious best absorbing historical facts.


3D Art


The "Those were the days"coffee shops.

First the engagement ring. Then the wedding ring and finally the suffering.

More Arty...

...farty stuffs.


We hit the streets for the street art.

There are various types.

The way of life. The way it was.

This huge one from a Russian artist.

But I forgotten about the one with Bruce Lee. It was rather humid. We had to stop for something nice. There is nothing better.

Then the famous chendol! I am still thinking about this Chendol now. Slurp slurp.

We were totally immersed by now and looking forward to more non-stop action. I would like to thank the people who brought us around, hosting and feeding us. Each time I travel, I would reflect on Henry Miller who said: "One's destination is never a place but a new way of seeing things."

I shall bring you more about Penang. Watch this space...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese