Joyous Seafood

One of life's simple joy is in discovery. In ancient times, they could set sail and discover land and islands. In 1492, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus went to the Americas and claimed the land for Spain and so they said Columbus discovered America. I heard from a friend once that while still on the ship, Columbus saw a land from afar and asked his Chinese mate what it was. His Chinese mate who happened to be Cantonese took a look and exclaimed: "Ah, mat yeh lei ka?" And Columbus nodded "A-me-ri-ca! America!" Fast forward to 2016 when Trump became President. To make America grate again, he should have just banned pre-shredded cheese!

Though not always hungry, I was inspired by Columbus. I want to discover good stuffs or new stuffs and so I did.

I found Joyous Seafood Paradise. It was at a HDB block just opposite the Serangoon Stadium. 

They have a wonderful seafood white bee hoon which I think may be one the best around. You have to eat to when served because if you were da bao home it may not be as perfect as the good gravy may dry up. The gravy is thick and a bit creamy with ingredients like prawns, squids and vegetables. 

They were able to bring into the bee hoon the breath of the wok. Very good wok hei and delicious! 

Other "tze char" fare like lala are available but I would like my lala with more chili gravy. 

They are quite generous with the ingredients in their fish maw soup.

The prawn cake is a must try as they are well made and definitely one of the better ones found anywhere. 

They are good with vegetables and are all very fresh. Try their broccoli and "Green Dragon" vegetables with mushrooms. 

This is their beef hor fun which okay but I prefer their white seafood bee hoon.

Crab oh crab.

And of course chilli crab.

They do not the best crab dishes but I can tell you that the quality of their crab is very good. Evidence is when you break it open and you see the fresh chunks of meat dangling and tasted really good.
















And to those who love roe.
















The garlic pork is pretty good too.

The tofu with pumpkin sauce is healthy and good. Those crispy bits add a dash of contrast to the soft bean curd.

I was told that their steamed fish is good but did not try that. Instead I tried a fish head with lard, chili and a dark sauce which is a bit similar to those "Song" fish head in some other restaurants. 

I think they are so good with omelette as you can see here. 
















Unfortunately, after discovering them and enjoying the food for some months, I found that they have recently relocated to: 37 Joo Chiat Place.


A man hath no better thing under the sun than to eat, and to drink and to be merry. Let's be joyous!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese