Big Prawn Noodle @ Loyang Way

I have a friend who works at Loyang and one day he told me about a prawn noodle stall nearby which is quite good. Because everything seems to taste the same to him so quite good must be really good.

About a month ago, after a Saturday morning run I  thought since I was earlier than usual, I should really go find out. Moreover it is a Saturday morning at an industrial park, maybe just maybe the queue would not be that wrong.

When I got there, it was all wrong,  a beeline was already in place with a least twenty people ahead of me. So 21st in line may not be that bad. Wrong again. Everyone in the queue were like buying 3-4 bowls or 5-7 packets. Go figure it out. I would normally not wait in this situation but having come so far I was not going to lose it.

As I snaked closer each time a person at a time, I looked behind and the queue would get longer. There was never less than 20 in the line. I read that the owner who started this stall is Dixon Fong and that he was previously a chef at Tung Lok. He is the one with the cap here.

I have tried some of the best out there like Beach Road Prawn Noodle at the East Coast and the Jalan Sultan one at Geylang.

I have to say that this one has the most powerful umami in it. As you can see, the soup is orangey, a lot of prawn heads and roe must have gone into it. It is deadly - deadly delicious. Though the sign said big prawns, these are not really that huge. Yes but they are still big, crunchy, juicy and sweet. 

You could add an egg if you like. I need to try both soup and dry version and what you see here is the $9 version. No choice when you have to come so far and queue for so long and I won't know when I might come again.

Everything has been very good in the bowl and lard is obviously one of them but one of the magic that did the trick is the fried shallots. The shallots were soaked in a pot of oil so well caramelised to brown and black. This really makes a big difference. I though I detected quite a tinge of sweetness which may have been the use of rock sugar which is often used in restaurants.

I met another friend who was there much earlier and was already slurping up his food. I shot a photo at his back and sent to him with a simple ''bo jio''. When he saw the message later, he was looking all over for me. He said the queue is long everyday.

The first friend who told me about it later told me that there is a time on weekdays when the queue is more forgiving. This is the place to go to  for me if I were to be on casual leave from work. It is my ''go to'' food and prawn noodle. I mean if you have to eat any ''rich'' food which we should not be eating too much too regularly then it had better be a good one.

It is so good I have to let you see it one more time. Absolutely fabulous but please do not eat this all the time. Partly for health reason and partly so that the queue won't be that long. I am now thinking when I may have another chance. May be if my friends are kind enough and since they live or work nearby, they can help by queueing first. Please help. I need to eat this again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese