Penang 17 - Part 3

Penang is lovely this time of the year in December so close to Christmas. Just few weeks before there was a huge storm that flooded certain places. It was windy and very cool.
















We did not even go to Gurney Drive. Our local Penangites brought us to the best authentic Penang hawkers.

To savour the prawn noodles.

This is a good place.

Penang white curry. We no longer have such coagulated blood no more.

Even the wanton noodle was pretty good. 

Another day another Penang Char Kway Teow. I may fail my medical when I return home.

I wanted to know what the lor mee taste like.

Yam cake and chee cheong fun were great breakfast food in the old days back home.

We wanted to be at the beach and we went to the ship. 

I have been here before in previous trips as it is still a popular place but the food is standard fare.


I did not find it special. Just filling the stomach.


Ah, finally the Batu Ferringhi beach.

This is Vitamin Sea.

A beautiful part of nature, always.

I think I need more frequent beach vacation.

Even the cats here are more relax than those back home.

In the evening we had steamboat at typical Chinese restaurant. May be the boss is China Chinese and not Malaysian Chinese as the waiters were all in Chinese costumes.

A friend ordered this and I resisted having some - pig brain. I remembered trying this when I was much younger. It was actually quite nice. Somehow, some Chinese believe that whatever animal parts you eat it helps your own human organs directly. So pig brain is supposed to make your brain better. What happens if the pig brain wins? When I was young, I remembered helping mum pick the veins by using tooth picks to lift the vein up and then twirled it and pulled them up.

Another good place for local food.

The good food stalls are easily sold out between breakfast and way ahead of lunch time.

If you are a fussy and spoilt Singaporean, you may not like such a place. The place looks old and run down but the food is great. That was how it used to be in Singapore when I was growing up.

This one was dessert for us.

It was like a few days of reliving our childhood days...

The good old days as they say.

It was our final round of eating local fare.

So we did what we had to do

That is to savour all the favourites.

Including our first apom manis.
















Penang has the glitter of a city and yet the old places remains unchanged.



Singapore's development has been too rapid. As we age, there may come a time where our last iota of memory cannot recognise the places we used to go to. 

We made a last stop for friend show likes to purchase the famous Penang cookies, etc.

Him Heang was their choice. 

Besides a couple of nice bermudas from Padini, I went a little French with a pair of Lacoste canvas shoes. Lacoste was founded by French tennis player Rene Lacoste in the 30s. His nickname is ''the crocodile'' because of his tenacity on the tennis court. That explains the logo on their products. This reminds me of many golfers who are ABC - Alligators, Buaya, Crocodiles. In 2012, Lacoste was bought by a Swiss group. 

Another short trip was quickly over. Back to the rat race. Travelling is seeing another part of the world through another lens. Where you came from is not the only reality for there are many. If I could could travel when free and for free, I may never come back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese