Teo Heng Teochew Porrdige

The good old days. Travelling back in time. Books and movies about time travel are often intriguing. Ours have no physical transportation, only memories. So when I recently brought a few friends together for lunch at Teo Heng, it was a special moment. For the younger generation, this Teo Heng is not a Karaoke. It is a Teochew hawker stall that harked back to previous generations. 

When I started work, it was at Cecil Street, a street that runs parallel to Robinson Road and Shenton Way. You would not believe it if I told you that when I was at LKN Building and later GB Building, you come straight down from the office and you will find good hawker food right behind at the back lane. When you wanted to seek greener pastures, you have to walked further and you will find the original Lau Pa Sat literally translated "Old Market". I remembered dad was working at the now defunct Denmark House for a long time and my elder sis was at Hong Leong Building. They told me about Teo Heng at Lau Pa Sat. When I went there with colleagues, there was always a long queue for their food during peak lunch hours. Later, they have to moved over to the opposite of Lau Pa Sat in a refurbished warehouse as they renovated the Old Market. 

I remember vividly because way before the 1997 Asian Currency Crisis, I have already suffered many such currency crises. Mine started when dad stopped giving me pocket money. I have never forgotten my first pay packet. It was an awesome $325! Pay packet because we actually got paid with the cash stuffed in an envelope. One month of hard work, I was afraid of losing it carelessly or getting robbed. That is when you developed immunity, raise your threshold and overcome all fears like Rambo going back to Nam. Flashback. Those were the days when dinosaurs roamed Shenton Way. Even today, some friends would ask me if I am suffering from mid-life crisis. Maybe they want to drag me along as they may be in one. I told them that my life has been a crisis and I am still in the middle of it.

Time flew and after many relocation, I have not been to Teo Heng for quite some time. It was a fabulous decision as we gathered at Amoy Street. 


We have to be early to get far from the madding crowd. Of course more people would come but I noticed that there was no longer a long queue. Older folks may have retired and the younger people are perhaps attracted to the new and more fashionable food like wagyu beef and trendy noodles. The world is slanted towards the young ones and not the young once? 












The same couple who served us are still at it except that we are all ravaged by time. The food is typically Teochew, simple but boy should you go eat it if you have not. Their large, fresh squids are very good especially when you dip it in plum sauce.



The fish cake is like what you will find at good teochew porridge stalls. You must have their ''lor bak'' braised to perfection. It is just different from others especially the texture of the meat and the Tau Kua Pau is a must have. The stuffing consisted of the braised pork, cucumber and fish cake chopped into tiny pieces.
















They make delicious teochew braised duck with tender meat and the eggs were like tamago eggs. They were already serving egg like this way before Japanese ramen came here. 
















You could select your steam fish. Just ask and they will show you. We opted for a Grey Mullet. Fresh and perfectly steamed. If you have porridge, theirs have a consistent blend of grains versus liquid. You can add others like kiam chye or chye buay to complement.
















It was one of the best meals I had for some time. As good as or better than some restaurants at a much better price. Having fixed my gaze at my our food and finally done with the food I looked up and saw a group of Caucasians who are fully attuned to Singapore's ''Kiasu" culture. They actually placed their office door pass to ''chope'' seats. When they came back with their food, they started taking photos not just of their own food but of each other's. 












My friends were very happy with the meal. I heard there were times they came without informing me. Somebody is going to get hurt real bad. You see I do have a very particular set of skills. Skills I acquired over a very long career...if you invite me next time, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kxxx you! Haha. No, not kill. I will be kind to you.

Writing about it now, makes me want go there soon. They have another one at Hong Lim which is probably run by his brother. Must go next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese