MacRitchie 2016

Recently, I read that our OBS (Outward Bound School) will be revamped to the tune of $250 million and moved to Coney Island and I shuddered. Why Coney Island? Why not $25 million? I mean $250 million is a lot of money! Well, it could be the land costs but still too much and I can't figure it out. I thought OBS is there to prepare and train ruggedness, leadership and to instil toughness, so some poles and ropes and whatever is enough. No? Why do we need everything to be state of the art? Can the money be put to better use?

I am concerned for Singapore and her future and when I see things happening now, we could think how this would lead us to the future. After all, the future starts the day after today. There was once I read about us engaging a professional company to run a contest to give a solid name to Marina Bay and we ended up with the winner calling it "Marina Bay". Then recently, when they closed and revamped Compass Point, they held a contest to rename the shopping mall with the winner walking away with $1,000 with a very special name of "Seng Kang Mall". I scratched my head till it bled. As I was penning this, a news report came out to say the same thing about netizens' complaint and now the revamped shopping mall shall be called - "Compass One".

Compass One sounded Singlish to me but in Singapore, "it is like that one''. Wah! Now some more got ang moh Oxford dictionary say can use words like sabo, even chinese helicopter also no problem one. Why ang moh want Singlish words in Oxford English dictionary makes me feel blur like sotong." Singlish is esoteric but there is nothing wrong with it per se. Singaporeans should not be too worked out about it. It is important for children to master the English language to make sure their "England got powder" first before they go into Singlish. I am very comfortable with both.  So do many people I know. When at work, I speak proper English and mind you not the typical monotonic Singaporean way and when with local friends, I readily switched into Singlish. Don't be goondu, rilek one korner lah. Okay, so much for OBS, naming and Singlish. I need to "cabut liao."

(Filipino comedian Orion):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS2wY-dSmP0

So "cabut'' I did and often I would change places to run. Going back a long way, the MacRitchie Reservoir Park was the biggest and most prominent park in Singapore since 1868. Given the traffic conditions of old the old days, it seems so far away and you kind of like have to plan to go there once or twice a year. These days you can visit every week or day and there are many more parks around and you are spoilt for choices but one thing is for sure - you go to eating places and it is hard to find parking space but when you go to places for exercise, you won't have a problem. 

Fond memories flooded my bank at the first sight. Distant memories from childhood days. I could even remember who I came with, oh, rather who brought me here. My parents brought me here with the family, sometimes with dad's good friends. A couple of my uncles and aunts too with cousins.

Even the sights thereafter. This one is so classic and was named after James MacRitchie - the Municipal Engineer of Singapore from 1883 and 1895. I have been here so much longer but nothing has been named after me. Maybe I should get a dog to name.

I am sure if I find time to search old photo albums, I could lay my hands on some truly vintage stuffs.

The beauty of the MacRitchie Reservoir is hard to describe.

Long-tailed macaques have been the longest residents here.

The air here is really fresh and the views magnificent.

I recalled I used to be here for cross country runs since young and must have crossed this bridge many-a-times. If you are often upset or angry, come here even for a walk and look down to see ''water under the bridge'' - a lot of things you once viewed as important are no longer. 

Even monkeys are not afraid of water.

They jumped across railings.

There were performances on this stage but now, it's the planet of the apes.

And this one, the fiercest, is definitely the leader.

There is now even a flooded walk way.

The history of Force 136 and the hero Lim Bo Seng who died in captivity at age 35 in 1944. What a tragedy. 

Every generation and event must have their heroes.

Being in the middle of nature, one could never imagine the violence of this world. 

Because there is such peace and calm.

Blue skies, white clouds, acres of green and the sight and sound of water.

This is the track that many have ran.

But these planks were laid here and not made for running. There is a sign that says no running. Yet there are some inconsiderate buffaloes who ran past and I got mistaken for earthquakes where the whole walk way felt like collapsing.  

As I run or walk, I keep my eyes observing the surrounding non-stop and found ants biting into the leaves of this plant. 



















I went into stealth mode to get a shot sometimes. This time, a dragonfly which I think is an amazing insect. 

I was looking at this which looked like aquarium plants when I spotted these damselflies in a R(A) moment.

And how sunlight has gotten this tree bowed over.

It is picturesque. Nature is best untouched.

God's designs always thumps Man's.

Pond skaters are interesting. I used to look at them especially on fishing trips and when there were no bites on the line. Stare at them and let your mind drift. 

The beauty of water...

...in interaction with nature.

And look at these roots! So deeply anchored and rooted here. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars. At this point, I offer you: -

















Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. 


Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.


Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.


Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. 


You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. 


And whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.


When the Desirata recital wa over, I looked up and saw a railing pointing up and forward.

Ah, after running a a long walk, it it time.

Looks like a nice place to recharge.

I wanted Japanese.

Others preferred Western.

Lately, I found grilled Hamachi cheeks irresistible!

After punishing work, reward yourself. Desirata said to be gentle with yourself.

This restaurant can be exciting as a customer or as staff. A couple was eating outside and a monkey was a the rooftop watching perhaps ready to pounce when given an opportunity. The waiters are armed security and a super-soaker came out spraying.

When your mind is in a good place, even a dustbin can be beautiful.

Walking sluggishly after a good meal, I spotted lizzy.

A chameleon. My ninja training has been a success, getting close for a shot  on lizzy without alerting it.

In life, we mustn't make assumptions of people and we must listen to all views. Listening to all views does not signify indecisiveness. It shows a great willingness to learn, a deep ability to accept. One can't see what a dog sees unless you stood lower.

I could even get a worm's views. You will never see this - the ground level of things. It is actually more beautiful and humbling than your own usual angle. 

But remember, the early bird catches the worm.

And never forget, the early worm gets eaten by the bird.

Another weekend of exercise of the body, mind and soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese