Bike Affair

Bicycles are getting really very popular in Singapore. The growth and expansion of bikes have been exponential. It has got to do with more and more Park Connectors opened for all. When we were young not many of us could afford even bicycles. I mean, money is needed to be spent elsewhere for things more important. 

We would borrow bikes from friends or neighbours just to ride for fun and the bikes we borrowed were mostly old ones. Some are like those that provision shops used for home delivery of goods. When we had a bit more pocket money, we would go to a place where you could rent small chopper bikes for a few dollars for many hours and those were the days where the name Raleigh meant high end.

In recent times, with a spike in bicycle ownership, there have been endless debates on who has what rights on the road. I am a pedestrian, cyclist and motorist and I have my skirmishes with all three. I will elaborate on these at another time but all we need is a little common sense. If you are bigger and faster, give way to the smaller and slower even if you are right. If you are smaller, watch out for the bigger and faster even if they are wrong. This way you get the best results for yourself. War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Back to bicycles. There are so many types for different purposes and usage. Sometimes, you think you may need a few but bikes can cost an arm and a leg. If you drive a car, you do not get to see things you would if you were walking. Similarly, riding a bicycle gets you to places you would normally not be able to do so. I wanted to take a look at all kinds of bikes, so on a lazy Sunday afternoon, I went to Zouk. Not for Zouk-out but for lookout. Lookout for bikes. 

This one is interesting. These big wheels and thick tyres will help you get through sand easily. A few days after this, I saw an old man riding one like that and spoke to him and he happily told me that he spent $2,000 upgrading is bike to become something like this. Well, as least this old man is not squandering his money on some unsavoury stuffs.

The motorised bikes are tempting for cruising during lazy days but it will defeat our purpose.

You can be a trishaw man if you like.

I like these a lot. They are unique and classy. They could stand and occupy very small spaces.

The beauty of this being foldable and can be opened with a single flip makes your day.

I asked the man if I bought one of these would I get this car and he laughed. Another patron beside me also laughed heartily.

They even have a skate bike. A skateboard with a bike handle.

Which colour do you like?



Look carefully. It's a Lamborghini! If I wanted, at this point in time, it is the only Lamborghini I could afford. The last Lamborghini I owned was a wallet but the wallet to me is like an onion - when I open it I cry.


These racing bikes are lovely.

I like these thick body frames. It depicted strength.




And the classic beauties. You can ride these in the country side and look elegant.

These mini kind of like Segway would be lovely yo have. My car can be far away and I can just glide on one of these. It will be like Star Wars.

If you are a family man with money to burn, take this.

Nothing beats the touch of leather. Another well-designed bike.

Young people like unusual stuffs. If you give them a car where they have to carry and run with they would.

The current craze is for fixed gear bikes. Young people like them because they are faster and you have to keep peddling and they come with only one brake in the front. But watch for rocks, stones and pebbles on those extra slim tyres. Certainly not for old men.

I like this aluminium frame bike especially the wheel spokes.

One reason for my existence is to make other people's dream come true. 

I wish bicycle comes with a bundled data plan so that when you signed a new package, they give you a free upgrade and you get a free new bicycle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Kallang Roar! (Part Three)

The Hainanese