Bidadari

Bidadari is a now defunct cemetery in Singapore flanked by Mount Vernon, Upper Aljunied, Upper Serangoon and Bartley Road. There used to be two sections at this cemetery - Muslims and Christian. There are private and public housing all around so are there schools like Maris Stella, Cedar, Bartley, etc.

I know the place as an aunt used to live nearby. I decided to come to an ex cemetery because by the end of this year the place will never be the same again. I should know as during National Service I have patrolled a cemetery for months on end and I found it to be the most serene and peaceful place. That's why they say Rest In Peace (RIP). The whole place here shall become a housing estate. Once humans come in there will be no more peace.

The first thing I did when I got to ground zero was to understand the place so I stood down way low as I possibly could to understand the view from the most lowly grass. I thought to myself, what a lovely sight. Even the lowly and down trodden have their views. Would you not agree? And their views can be good.


It was a weekend morning and the place was largely deserted. My son has the whole place to skate.


I have always been intrigued by trees. They have been here for ages. I found the trees here to be interesting.

A modern school stood its ground amidst the deserted neighbourhood.

The green green grass of home outside of the school.


The plants and ferns are lush and the growth thick.

I came across a fallen tree. Once tall, big and mighty, it has fallen as it did not have strong roots. Humans are the same. Be careful.

I told you that trees are interesting. See how its branches weaved intricate patterns. 

I came across another unique tree.

It is like "Inception". This is a tree within trees.

It will cast a monster silhouette at night.

It is growing and going in all direction at once.

You can find these seeds on the ground. Remember how you used to play with them?

The Gurkha contingent is not far away. It is a common to see them running. We met a few and one of them was not even running on the concrete path. He was intentionally running on the natural terrain and at times sprinting on a long uphill stretch.

The son was skating. Good when going downhill but the path is rough and cracked. Not the best place to skate as it can be a bone shaker.

This tree can also freak you out especially at night. All you need is a crow or vulture to complete the spook.

Bald trees like bald people can look nice. Is the ground here dead?

Frangipani can be frightening. If you had even patrol a cemetery at night or in the wee hours of the morning you will know what I meant.

I found a patch with yellow little flowers. They are like fields of gold. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLVq0IAzh1A (Sting).

We returned from where we came.

The morning greeted us in its glory.

At least this drain is still alive and flowing. How long more before they are all gone?

They say it is a bird haven. I think the birds are leaving. The dead have been exhumed and vacated. Even the ghosts have no place. The childhood places are gone. How do we remember places as we grow older. Memories are fading fast. Better to capture them.

I remember visiting Asrori at his house at the top of the cemetery. Eating there with the breeze brushing gently on our faces with not a care in the world. It was a much more beautiful place then. It would not be long before a housing estate sprouts. Our memories like the places would be gone. So long Bidadari. Maybe one day I should interview Asrori for his stories.

Should all acquaintance be forgot?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Choo

The Hainanese

Singapore Soccer Legends - Part 2